Wednesday, February 6, 2013

New Kernel, new features... new release 06-02-2013!


As usual, download the .rar, uncompress it (with winrar or 7zip) and "burn" it into your SDCard (with win32 Disk Imager or dd). Then just power on your RaspberryPi board!

With the "new" Kernel 3.6.11 for RPi-TC i have added some features:

NFS rootfs support, it's very useful to leave the full filesystem in a network disk and tell the board to boot directly from there.I have different versions of RPi-TC in test and by booting the board via NFS i can easily switch between versions without writing new image/SDCard etcetc and if i need to modify some files i can do it directly in the NFS Server.
Little how-to to do that (you can find LOT better how-to around internet, just google-it):
you need: Linux pc (i use an Ubuntu virtual machine) with nfs-kernel-server, an DHCP server (like your home router!)and the MAC Address of your RaspberryPi
configure NFS Server: just add /opt/rpitcfs *(rw,sync,no_wdelay,no_subtree_check,no_root_squash) to /etc/exports file
now create the folder /opt/rpitcfs with mkdir -p /opt/rpitcfs , plug your SDCard and more all file inside the ext4 partition of your SDCard (ex. /media/rpitc) in the /opt/rpitcfs folder. Don't touch the /media/BOOT fat partition with kernel.img elf bin files.
restart the NFS Server: /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server restart
Now we need to modify just 2 files:
in /opt/rpitcfs/etc/fstab comment out the line: /dev/mmcblk0p2 / ext4 defaults,noatime,nodiratime 0 1 by adding # as first char
in /media/BOOT/cmdline.txt overwrite anything with: dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=192.168.0.100:/root/fs,vers=3 rw rootwait where 192.168.0.100 is the IPAddress of your Linux PC with NFS Server!
Save all, plug your SDCard on RaspberryPi and poweron!
you will see something like:
Please remember this: you have to add an IP reservation on your DHCP Server with the MACAddress of your board, Network-Manager service on startup will may change the IPAddress taken by the Kernel!!!

SqhashFS and AuFS is back, /usr folder was squashed, in RPi-TC distro /usr take about 600Mb of space, after squashing it it's about 211Mb. Not just for saving space on SDCard but also to improve performance! Also, you can combine it with NFS Server by remote squashing folders or package (like Citrix or VMWare) and adding it just when needed (also when board is powered on!).

Desktop is changed (again...sorry! :) ). Now you can create shortcut icons and modify it by opening it with Leafpad. Right Click openbox menu is still available and you can modify it as usual. I have added 2 shortcut "RDesktop Example!" and "XFreeRDP Example!" use it if you need to create a new RDP connection (with rdesktop or with xfreerdp), please refer to the official documentation for the right command line parameter!! RDesktop man page & xFreeRDP man page


Other changes and features list:
- VMWare View Client 1.7.0 -> PLEASE REMEMBER: there is NO PCoIP
- Citrix Receiver for Linux System on a Chip (SoC) 12.2.3
- Quest vWorkspaces 7.0b -> dependencies fixed!
- RDesktop 1.7.1, Remmina 1.0 and xFreeRDP 1.0.1
- SPICE Client (virt-viewer 0.5.3) -> i need beta tester!
- IceWeasel 10.x with Citrix extension
- Kernel 3.6.11 armel fine tuned, added lot of module for your wifi dongle and other driver
- Image is about 1Gb but space needed on SDCard is less than 400Mb (fit into 512Mb SDCards)

There is no X11 video driver at the moment, just a beta release for armhf, not yet for armel.


Download LINK:
Google drive
.torrent

Gibbio

37 comments:

  1. Very excited about the ability to add desktop shortcuts... this will make it a lot easier to deploy in our school.

    We have deployed our first as a beta test and all being well will up this to 6 in the next week or so.

    I have designed a new case with adapters to mount to either desk or back of a monitor, the SD card is now contained inside the case and the lid is fixed down. Making the Pi more secure in a school environment.

    Kudos for all your hard work so far

    ReplyDelete
  2. Strange question but how do I edit the resolv.conf and autostart???

    Does the vi command work??

    Sorry I'm new to this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, was being stupid, forgot to use nano :)

      Delete
  3. Nice project! Keep the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I managed to connect to a corporate network and then to a vdi session running windows 7. I had to install icedtea6 to Get the java plugin to work for iceweasal. I was able to do work no problem, however an internet page is slow in it. Also first time connection whereby it is recognising citrix and Java plugin cash be slow. But once up and running within the vdi all good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,

    realy nice work! I'm tryin to get the SPICE remote viewer to work without success. I'm alredy using it under Windows7 without any problem. Is the syntax diffrent from windows? There I only type:
    spice://hostname:port

    on the raspberry I get two errors:
    1st: unknown graphic type for the guest spice://hostname:5930
    2nd: could not create session for this type: spice

    any hints?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      i'll make some test very soon, i let you know if i find the same problems

      Delete
    2. I have recompiled the version 0.5.5 and there is no support for SPICE protocol, just VNC :(

      Delete
    3. I get the same error with Spice-connection.

      Delete
    4. the problem is in the spice client, was compiled only with vnc-gtk not with spice-gtk.
      I have succesfully rebuilded spice-gtk for spicy and virt-viewer, i'll be included in next RPi-TC release

      Delete
  6. Citrix SOC for Linux ARM 2.5 discussed here
    http://blogs.citrix.com/2013/02/13/update-on-hdx-ready-soc/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. didn't try it yet, did you try it?

      Delete
  7. I can connect through the view client to see my VM pool, however when I try to connect to the VM, the window appears to load, but then disappears immediately. I have tested this using both PCoIp and RDP protocols. I have checked and made sure the view agent is running properly on the VM and that the VM agent is communicating to the view manager. Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The solution as pointed out to me in a previous post in a previous version:

      The solution was originally given by Nicolas Mailloux on December 13, 2012:

      ln /usr/lib/vmware/vmware-view-usb /etc/vmare/usb.link -s

      Delete
    2. i always forgot to create this link... i hope to remember to do it on next release :)

      Delete
    3. Wow, thank you so much for helping me with this. I really appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  8. I've tried 2 different USB WiFi Dongles that I've had success using in Linux(Including Raspbian) and ifconfig is not showing wlan0. Any suggestions? One is a TP=Link and the other is an AirLink101.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the driver is missing... In the next release i'll publish the full kernel modules

      Delete
    2. As a workaround could I just install the driver? Would a sudo apt-get install wext take care of it?

      Pat

      Delete
  9. I am looking to turn this awsome setup you have created into a kiosk computer that the users cannot change. To that end I need to know how to disable right clicking on icons on the desktop; when I do I get options like Open, Leafpad, Delete. I certainly don't want users changing it. I have tweaked the PCMANFM config and also tried changing options in LXDE and Openbox and I just can't seem to find the option.
    Another options might be to autologon as a user with no rights, I tried changing the /etc/inittab entry and replacing root with my user (kiosk) but that didn't seem to work.

    Anyone got some advice for me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to disable Right-Click mouse just edit /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml

      and remove the part with:
      <mousebind button="Right" action="Press">
      <action name="Focus"/>
      <action name="Raise"/>
      <action name="ShowMenu">
      <menu>client-menu</menu>
      </action>
      </mousebind>

      and

      </action>
      </mousebind>
      <mousebind button="Right" action="Press">
      <action name="ShowMenu">
      <menu>root-menu</menu>

      Delete
    2. There was not a filed named that in that directory, there was however a file called lxde-rc.xml. After removing all references to button="Right" and rebooting I am still able to right click icons and get the same menu as before. The desktop right click menu is gone which I had figured out previously but I just can't seem to make the icon right click menu go away.
      Is there a way to set the mouse as a one button mouse (left only) in a setting elsewhere?

      Delete
    3. this file is present in some folders, i didn't remember what are the right one... Try to check /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml and /etc/xdg/openbox/LXDE/rc.xml

      Delete
  10. I have modified these below files with the same result, I am able to disable right clicking the desktop but not disable right clicking icons.
    /root/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
    /etc/xdg/openbox/rc.xml
    /etc/xdg/openbox/LXDE/rc.xml

    ReplyDelete
  11. I thought you would like to know that I just tested this with the Citrix Excalibur Tech Preview with StoreFront.
    The performance is really impressive to the point where it is outperforming some of the cheaper thin clients.
    I haven't tested it with XenDesktop yet, but I will do shortly and update you.

    I spotted this from:
    http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX134786
    By default, Flash redirection is disabled on fewer versions of Citrix SoC Clients (for example: Linux Client version 12.2). To enable this, you need to edit module.ini at /config/module.ini
    Example:
    /opt/Citrix/ICAClient/config/module.ini; and change
    “FlashV2=Off” to “FlashV2= On”

    How difficult would it be to include the dependencies for this?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    Do you know how i can setup the version of receiver on here to work with a Access Gateway and Storefront installation ?

    I have access.realserveit.com setup as my Receiver address which works with my iphone, and Ipad etc..
    That site uses a go Daddy certificate so is trusted by most devices , but will this build have a trust for ROOTCA's ?
    thanks
    David

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi,

    I just installed your distro in order to replace expensive (!) thin client we buy in our association. For now, I tried rdesktop which works very well.

    I still have some things to change but I'm a little surprised to wait 22min for a apt-get update. Is this normal? Is there a possibility to speed up this ?

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. by default pdiff is enable (less bandwidth usage etcetc) but it's take too long if you didn't do it every day. So just add this options to /etc/apt/apt.conf:
      Acquire::PDiffs "false";
      after that apt will get full package diff etc every time

      Delete
  14. Hi, seems remote-viewer is not compie with spice support .
    I am very interested to test it with spice.
    I have create a kvm farmi with some windows desktop .
    How I use some old pc with fedora 17 and spice but I world like to use rasp in che future.
    I tested raspberry model b overcloccked with fedora arm 17: it works fine with freerdp while spice is tool show: I thinks it requires a lot of cpu resources .
    If you want I can test your solution with spice.
    If your agree write at ignaziocassano@email.com

    Regards

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, spice on arm (every distribution) is compiled only with vnc-gtk support, not with spice-gtk support.
      I already handle to compile spice-gtk in RaspberryPi board, i'll release it in the next version (very soon).

      Delete
  15. Sorry for previous post ....I hope it is readable ....I wrote by smartphone .
    Any case I think remote-viewer supplied with this os has not compiled with spice support .
    I got same issue with fedora 17 arm where I used spicy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there, I'm trying to get this build to work with my wifi dongle (dynamode) could someone point me in the right direction? I'd also ideally like it to be able to connect to different networks via wicd (whcih I guess I need to install) This is currently the bain of my life! complete linux newbie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. hi,

    I've tried RpiTC, and congrats for you job!
    I can connect t my xendesktop environnement very easyly, but it's laggy. Anyone has the same problem?
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what is the easiest way to connect to wifi ... I cannot download and install anything unless I can get the wifi to work ... am a newbee and am lost ... the product looks great... I want to get it to work so that I can test a citrix web application....

    thanks for any help

    ReplyDelete
  19. ABsolutely beautiful product. Citrix works like a charm ... thank you, thank you...

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello, great project!! Thank you so much for posting all of this! Have you tried loading Simons X11 driver with your latest distro?

    ReplyDelete