Monday, September 17, 2012

RPi-TC Last release... waiting for X11 driver

This is the last release of RPi-TC. Why:
I have make a lot of improvement in this version to speedup the board, used lot of tweak from kernel to filesystem to gain some speed. But, without an X11 accelerated driver it's almost useless. It's like if you use your pc without a videocard, boot is good, write/read is good but windows refresh is dreadful. So forget to use RemoteFX/HDX/PCoIP atm.
I'm very sorry but i think everything that could be done to improve the performance on this board was done and I don't want to "waste" more time on that.
RaspberryPi & PCoIP: this was my nightmare for two months. I have talk with some friends about that, and my first statement was: "RaspberryPi cannot handle PCoIP protocol included in the vmware view client because the board is an arm6l without thumb2 or NEON instruction set (arm7l)". After 2 months of tests and after some "rumors" from WMWorld in San Francisco (3very very lucky friends went here..) I can say I was right. So atm arm6l cpu (like RaspberryPi) cannot handle PCoIP.
Want to use PCoIP? Ok, use another board like (tested by myself) ODROID-X, BeagleBone and also the MK802 and for sure also the CubieBoard...

.img download in the download page

Also github repos was completely reupdated with last version.

RaspberryPi is a very good board and with RPi-TC software you have a great low cost Thin Client, just use it for "office" work.


Edit: waiting for X11 driver...i have already start to code some gtk interface to easily admin the RPi-TC with user/admin acl, vnc shadowing, remote updating etcetc ;)

10 comments:

  1. If a X11 driver is released, will you continue releasing RPi-TC? I have seen some X11 development in rpi forum, but i think it is going slow and if it is successful, it will take months to years to complete. Another board is good, but it is very expensive and I am already in love with raspberry pi. I don't need PCoIP, i only need RDP with high framerate, audio, and usb support.

    So far your release is very good, I am very satisfied with your image. Thank you for all your development until this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sure, when X11 driver (alpha or beta or anything working) will be released i'll release another version.
      Also when i can solve audio issue i'll release another version or howto.
      ATM it the fastest RaspberryPi SO :)

      Delete
  2. Have you seen this X11 "driver":

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Fy63w6WxOw

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the release so far, but it is a bit too slow for my needs; remote coding via windows rdp. I look forward to any improvements you make in the future though. Great job though still! thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi there - great article... so I've managed to get rdesktop working and booting automatically into my remote windows machine. I put the standard img that you have on your site and modified xinitrc to do:
    exec rdesktop -f -k en-us -r sound -a 16 -x lan win7vm.butters.co

    I followed the instructions here:
    http://www.dev-random.me/raspberrypi-thinclient/

    I can now get my raspberry Pi to auto boot and connect to a windows RDP session. its early days but it works for me....

    ReplyDelete
  5. does your image work for cubieboard?
    this looks promising to me. its cheap(50$) and with sata onboard.
    but how about x11 and rdp8.0 ?
    would it work?
    im thinking of a cheap client for remotefx and server 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  6. does the just recently releases open source gpu driver help?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Using this torrent and the git clone procedures both fail to work.
    thy got only so far in booting up and then say files missing.

    Both install procedures appear to finish correctly.

    any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Using this torrent and the git clone procedures both fail to work.
    thy got only so far in booting up and then say files missing.

    Both install procedures appear to finish correctly.

    any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is there something new regarding to the X11 driver integration?
    Have you seen the unoffical RPi Xorg driver...
    > http://elinux.org/RPi_Xorg_rpi_Driver
    ...the article 'High-performance RDP on the Raspberry Pi'?
    > http://blog.pi3g.com/2013/07/high-performance-rdp-on-the-raspberry-pi/

    Or the Wayland preview (and XWayland)?
    > http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/4053

    And what's about FreeRDP using Wayland?

    Do you have any plans to further improve the RDP performance?

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.